1. The sky was gray and cloudy. ________, we went to the beach.
A. Consequently B. Nevertheless C. Even though D. In spite of
2. I turned on the fan __________ the room was hot.
A. due to B. despite C. even though D. because
3. Sam and I will meet you at the restaurant tonight ________ we can find a baby-sitter.
A. although B. unless C. otherwise D. only if
4. Carol showed up for the meeting ________ I asked her not to be there.
A. even though B. despite C. provided that D. because
5. You must lend me the money for the trip. ________, I won’t be able to go.
A. Consequently B. Nevertheless C. Otherwise D. Although
6. The road will remain safe ________ the flood washes out the bridge.
A. as long as B. unless C. providing that D. since
7. The roles of men and women were not the same in ancient Greece. For example, men were both participants and spectators in the ancient Olympics. Women, ________ were forbidden to attend or participate.
A. nevertheless B. on the other hand
C. therefore D. otherwise
8. The windows were all left open. _____, the room was a real mess after the windstorm.
A. Nevertheless B. However C. Consequently D. Otherwise
9. It looks like they’re going to succeed ________ their present difficulties.
A. despite B. because of C. even though D. yet
10. ________ Marge is an honest person, I still wonder whether she’s telling the truth about the incident.